Tuesday, June 9, 2009

TTOTD/Experience Travel

(TTOTD=Travel Tip of the Day)
Obviously travelling is gaining experience in new things discovered- the simpleness of taking a taxi, a first flight, seeing ancient statues etc., but one thing that isn't experienced enough during travels is culture.

Culture is a really easy thing to get in on, and this came to me this morning as I was making myself breakfast. I started making my mom and I some crepes, when I leaned against the stove, slightly burning my stomach. I looked down at my stomach to investigate the red mark, when I looked at my tattoo. Lo and behold, I'm making crepes and looking at my Eiffel tower tattoo.

Now, as I was mentioning, culture is really simple to get in on, but can be a completely life changing experience. We all know that there are McDonald's chains world wide, but doesn't that destroy culture? I'm not going to lie, when I was in France I ate lunch at McDonald's once, and I'm pretty sure I had Burger King in Germany before. I don't even want to remember what processed garbage I had in the UK! While I gobbled up my 6 piece nuggets, small fry, and my Carmel ice cream sundae (I actually think it was something called 'summer berry' in Paris) and sipped on my medium half Pepsi/half root beer (with no ice) I totally lost culture. Sure I'm sitting in Paris eating at a dainty little table, but I'm eating the food I can get anywhere in the world! Thankfully I only did this once, and the rest of the times I ate at cute little cafes and patios.

There were other ways that I experienced culture when I was there though. Every morning I got my coffee from the cafe down the street, and my breakfast from a family owned bakery. I also (being Canadian) was able to speak french to all that I came across. I shopped at the local businesses and went where the locals went. But think of even more culture that could have been experienced!

Here is my list of things for you to try to do on your next trip to get a true grasp of culture.

- If you're going to a European destination, try to stay at a Bed and Breakfast, or find a family willing to let you stay with them for a little bit. You'll eat traditional meals prepared by somebody with a passion for their culture, stay in a home that reflects the lifestyle, and live with people who will be willing to teach you anything. Maybe you could even ask them to teach you how to cook a signature dish or meal.

- Go where the locals go. If you're in your hotel room and you can hear various conversations and laughter, check out where it's coming from. You could come across a tiny little bar with live local bands playing!

- Eat at restaurants that are obviously family owned, or that have a menu that seems very traditional to the location. Why not try something you've never had before? Tell your waiter what you would like to eat (ie. "I'm in the mood for chicken) and ask them what they would suggest. If you don't like it, you'll know not to have it again. If you do, you've just experienced a positive response to culture! Remember, avoid McDonald's as much as possible!

- Try to learn at least a few phrases in the visiting language. This will give you a much more personable feel and you will feel proud of your accomplishments.

- Do something fun! Go on a picnic by a local lake or stream with a blanket and grocery store items. Or get some treats from a local bakery to enjoy! You're experiencing the culture the land gives.

Enjoy your surroundings, and take in new things. Don't forget to be a tourist, but don't be a tourist 24/7.

Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment